The new commander of military joint task for (JTF), known as Operation Pulo Shield, Maj-Gen Ilyasu Abbah, assumed duty today in Yenagoa, Bayelsa.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Ilyasu took over from the retiring Maj-Gen. Bata Debiro.
Speaking shortly after a brief handover ceremony, Abbah said he would consolidate on the achievements of his predecessor.
He said there was still a lot to be done to check the activities of oil thieves and pipeline vandals within Bayelsa.
The new commander reiterated that because the economy was oil dependent, Nigeria could not afford oil theft that would jeopardise the revenue projections of the government.
He stressed that `Operation Pulo Shield’ was primarily set up to stop the illegalities that might affect the sale of crude.
He vowed to carry out his new assignment with “uncommon passion and unparalleled commitment”, and sought the cooperation of the officers and men of the task-force
Earlier in his valedictory address, the outgoing commander thanked them for their support while in office.
”I am highly satisfied with your performance in 2013. We have fought the criminals very successfully, and that is what the President wants.
”We were sent down to stop the illegalities. We have done very well.
“But do not relent because if you give the enemy any chance to breathe, he will come after you,” Debiro charged the JTF officers.
He described the new commander as a fine and hardworking officer and enjoined the men of the JTF to accord him the same support and cooperation accorded to him.
Debiro was appointed to commander the JTF Operation Pulo Shield on Jan. 11, 2013.