(FOR THE RECORD)
I am honoured to stand before you today as NLNG’s GM EXTERNAL RELATIONS AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT. This would be the first time I am meeting many of you, we would have met earlier but for the fact that we have been busy with preparations for milestones that are worthy of celebrations.
This year is a special year for NLNG. I will brief you about these milestones in a few minutes time.
But first, I will like to begin with my appreciations. Today, I present my highest thoughts towards you by saying Thank You.
- Thank you for being nation builders;
- for representing the voiceless;
- for telling the truth;
- for setting agenda
- Thank you for supporting Nigeria LNG Limited in our vision to help build a better Nigeria.
One wise saying by G.K. Chesteron I keep with me at all times is that appreciation is the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder. ;; iceless;; and
I also commend you for taking out time to be with us anytime we call, to hear us out and to report the great feats that we, as a Company, have achieved as great ambassadors of Nigeria.
You are partners in success story and so we enjoin you all to stand with us as we celebrate.
20-30 Anniversary Celebrations
NLNG is celebrating 30 years of incorporation this year. At the same time,, we are also celebrating 20 years of safe and reliable production and delivery of LNG to the world. These milestones are what have made 2019 a very special and auspicious year for us all.
Never before has our history been told the way it has been done this year, showing you in clarity how Nigeria built this company into success. A number stands out in all of these narratives; the number 30.
The significance in this is that in our history, major developments and milestones are in blocks of 30 years. Starting in the 1960s, it took about 30 years of false and botched starts before the NLNG concept gained traction and the company was incorporated in 1989. From that time, it took another 30 years of developing what you currently see as Nigeria LNG. We have signed FIDs which paved the way for our current 22 Million Tonnes Per Annum (MTPA) plant which has made the following possible:
- The reduction of gas flaring from 65% to less than 20%
- Over $100 billion generated in revenue
- some $8 billion Paid in taxes
- $13 billion Paid to the Federal Government for feedgas purchase
- $17 billion Paid in dividends to the Federal Government
- over N25 billion Contributed to developments in the Niger Delta
- N60 billion Committed for constructing Bonny-Body road
- MOU signed with Bonny Kingdom for the economic development of the Kingdom with a N3 billion per annum grant for a 25-year period;
- Sponsoring of the Nigeria Prize for Science and the Nigeria Prize for Literature worth $100, 000 each.
- Sponsoring of scholarships, health initiatives and built infrastructure in Bonny Island, our host community and more.
The second block of 30 ends this year. We are now in transition, looking into the future and planning for the next 30 years. Train 7 is part of that plan. Train 7 will increase of our production output by 35% from 22 Million Tonnes Per Annum (MTPA) to 30 MTPA- another 30 for us. Our future is our growth agenda and that is being a top quartile LNG supplier. We are fast making progress on this.
This year, we prepare for the future, to regain our position in the ranks of LNG producers worldwide and to regain our reputation in the world, as the fastest growing LNG plant in the world. We are committed to bringing value to both our shareholders, which includes the Federal Government, and our stakeholders.
As our partners, we want you, the media to celebrate with us and join us in, preparing for the future by relentlessly supporting us in realizing and maintaining our vision of becoming “a global company, helping to build a better Nigeria.”
*Being an address by Eyono Fatayi-Williams, GM
External Relations and Sustainable Development at Media Luncheon on Friday, 5th October, 2019.