8 Persons  Feared Killed  in Benin-Asaba Expressway Auto Crash

Share On:
By Nosa Akenzua in  Asaba

No fewer than eight persons were on Wednesday feared killed on Asaba-Benin expressway motor accident which occurred at about 5.30pm around Ekwuoma community.
Eyewitness, John Okwe, said that the accident involved Toyota Corolla car and 18 seater bus along the express way after the driver of 18 seater bus lost control due speeding.
He added the vehicle then veered out of its way and crashed into the Toyota Corolla car, leaving eight persons on both vehicles dead.‎
But the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC)  Commander in Delta State, Random Kulven, who spoke to newsmen in Asaba, confirmed that the accident occurred following the loss of control of the 18 seater bus driver and he subquent veered out of his way to crash into the Toyota Corolla car, leaving eight persons fatally injured and unconscious, adding that the victims were rushed to the FMC, Asaba where they are being taken care of.‎
“Our men are always on the road to ensure no road accident, most of the drivers are deviants and they are not bothered on the warnings to avoid over speeding, it’s unfortunate that the victims were fatally injured and unconscious”.
Motorists plying Benin-Asaba -Onitsha Expressway who spoke to newsmen in the area on condition of anonymity said the 18 seater bus driver may have, while trying to escape the potholes within Ekwuoma community, lost control of his over speeding and veered out of his way to crash into the Toyota Corolla car heading towards Asaba, and however called on the federal road maintanace agency to expedite action in the repair of the deplorable spot.
Those in the know who also spoke to newsmen on condition of anonymity said “we doubt if the victims will survive, they were fatally injured and unconscious before helps came their way, blood everywhere on the ground, it was really a fatal accident which occurred before Ekwuoma community this evening, it’s sad that our roads are bad”.
At FMC, Asaba doctors were seen battling to save the lives of the victims whom they confirmed were fatally injured and unconscious, but refused to speak further, instead referring newsmen to the Public Relations Officer ( PRO) of the medical center as the authorized person to speak to the press, but efforts made to reach him was not successful as his GSM numbers were not going as at the time of this report.
Share On:


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here