By Our Reporter
National Security Adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari, Maj-Gen. Babagana Mungonu (rtd), on Thursday denied knowledge of the whereabouts of the $1billion approved by the National Economic Council (NEC) for tackling security challenges in the country.
The money was approved in December 2017 following spiralling insecurity in the country, especially Boko Haram insurgency, herdsmen menace, kidnappings, banditry and armed robbery.
There has been apprehension however, over whether the finds had been released, when and for what specific purposes.
Amid the controversy, the Nigerian Army said the money was still being processed.
While responding to question on what has been done with the $1 billion, the NSA who coordinates the nation’s security architecture, said the money was meant for the military alone, but not aware if it had been so released.
“The $1billion I believe that you are talking about was actually earmarked for the military, not for security agencies, like the intelligence community and the paramilitary agencies.
“It was earmarked for the military. As much as I know, whether it was given to them, I really don’t know.”