Forty-three persons were killed at the weekend by in Adamawa and Borno States, sources told newsmen.
Of the 43, 23 were felled in two villages in Madagali Local Government Area of Adamawa State.
It was gathered that the attackers stormed Gubla and Waga villages at the wee hours of Saturday night and the attack lasted to the early hours of Sunday.
One of the residents of the affected villages, who identified himself as Mallam Musa, said: “The gunmen used explosives during the attack which resulted to killing many people lost , I saw at least 18 corpses littered on the ground while five others died at hospital on Sunday afternoon.”
According to the report two members of the suspected gunmen were said to be arrested by the military and one of them was reported to be killed
“I saw some people crying, saying their relations had been taken away as hostages by the gunmen,” the resident, who craved anonymity, said.
The insurgents had on Saturday night attacked military base at Gubla and later burnt down an armoured tank, though some of the attackers were said to have been nabbed.
Efforts to get to the military and police authorities to comment on the incident did not yield result at the time of filling this report but the Local official of Madagali of Local government confirmed the two attacks, though he could not give details of those lost their lives during the attacks.
The local government official said soldiers have sealed up the area and were hunting for the fleeing attackers, adding that “people were killed, and some houses, were set ablaze by the attackers, while all the villagers have fled.”
Meanwhile, the other 20 persons were killed on Sunday afternoon in an attack by suspected Boko Haram on Kamuyya village in Biu Local Government Area of Borno State.
The Sunday attack, according to residents of the area, was hatched by dozens of the members of the sect who invaded Kamuyya village with assault rifles and explosives.
Residents who spoke to journalists in Maiduguri on phone said some insurgents had visited the town about two months ago and asked the village head to mobilize his subjects to contribute the sum of N250,000 for them in order to execute “God’s work.”
The villagers, apparent in awe were only able to raise N70,000. Though the insurgents were said to had collected the money, but with a message that they will be coming back for the balance.
According to one of the villagers, Bukar Umar, the threat was taken with a pinch of the salt as many thought it was “madness gone too far.”
He said: “Actually when they issued such threat, we all took it lightly as we are all relaxed and nobody bothered to make any extra effort to put in the amount they requested. May be that was what ignited this bloody attack because we were unable to meet their demand.’
Umar said they were caught pants down as over 20 insurgents, who must have emerged from the bush stormed the Kamuyya weekly market when traders were conducting their businesses and opened fire into the crowd before setting shops and vehicles on fire.
Another resident, who spoke anonymously, claimed that over 100 houses were burnt, after the attackers had killed 20 people, leaving several others wounded.
He lamented the absence of security operatives in the area, even as they alerted relevant authorities on the need to deploy troops to safeguard the community.
“Immediately after the last week attack in Kimba village, also in our local government, where scores of people were ,murdered, we urged the security agents to deploy their personnel but our appeal fell on deaf ears”, he alleged.
The resident further explained that after wreaking havoc in market, the hoodlums proceeded to the main town and set houses and vehicles on fire.
“After the carnage in market, the militants moved into the main town as they set ablaze several houses and vehicles.
Several residents who escaped the onslaught are now taking refuge in the bush for fear of the unknown. We hope government will come to our rescue because we have lost everything”, he lamented