Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB), has peggd the 2020 cut-off mark entry into Nigerian universities a 160.
Registrar of the Board, Professor Is-haq Oloyede, disclose his yesterday at an online meeting of stakeholders that 120 had been earmarked for polytechnics cut-off mark, while that of the Colleges of Education would be 100 and above.
Oloyede disclosed that of 612, 557 candidates, who were offered admission in various institutions in 2019, no fewer than 510,957 spaces were unused by in the year in review.
He said “only 612,557 of the 1,157,977 candidates had the required five credits with English and Mathematics that sat for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations (UTME) last year”.
He noted that awaiting results candidates would only be considered when they were uploaded on its website.
JAMB fixes June 16 for policy meeting In his remarks,
Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu, who was represented by the Minister of State for Education, Emeka Nwajiuba, advised tertiary institutions to consider candidates with previous years Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) and other qualifying results, to proceed with the admission process.
Adamu said government would work towards accommodating applicants, who would be taking the examination later.
“As major stakeholders, we must jointly come up with reactions that would realign our programmes to these new realities.
“While these reactions are being fine-tuned to check their capacities and capabilities to withstand the new reality, JAMB and tertiary institutions could take advantage of the current situation and consider candidates with previous years Senior School Certificate Examination and other qualifying results, to proceed on with the admission process.
“Whatever arrangement that the country comes up with in the long run, will surely accommodate those who will be taking the examination when the opportunity to do so is worked out”.