The Edo State Government said on Monday that it had enrolled 860 primary schools into the Edo Basic Education Sector Transformation (EDOBEST) programme, since its establishment in 2018.
The Chairman of the Edo State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), Mrs Joan Osa-Oviawe, made the disclosure while addressing journalists at an event to mark the third year anniversary of the programme.
According to Osa-Oviawe, 860 primary schools had been enrolled in the EDOBEST programme since the programme began in 2018, with 186 schools on standby due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
“Out of 1,046 primary schools in the state, only 186 schools are yet to be enrolled in the EDOBEST programme of Edo State Government due to the challenges of COVID 19 pandemic.
“The governor has provided over seven million textbooks to pupils across the 18 local government areas of the state.
“In terms of infrastructural development, the governor has constructed over 400 primary schools across the state, the quality of the construction has also improved compared to what was obtainable in time past.
“The programme is extending its reach to pupils in special schools, like the schools for the visually impaired, hearing, speech impaired, amongst others.
“Most of these pupils are talented, and we are working with relevant authorities to strengthen the system, to bring out the best in them, she said.
She added that the focus of the Obaseki administration was to ensure that every child in Edo had a bright future in terms of quality education, noting that this was gradually being achieved through the establishment of the EDOBEST programme.