“We love and welcome Davido to Edo State,” the Edo State Government has said, dismissing reports that Nigerian singer, David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, had been banned from entering or performing in the state.
The state Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Prince Kassim Afegbua, made the clarification in a statement on Friday.
Afegbua described the person who announced the alleged ban as an “impostor” and “fraud,” stressing that the state government was not behind the statement.
He said, “Like all other Nigerians, we love and welcome Davido in Edo State.”
According to him, Edo remains open to everyone regardless of political affiliation, beliefs or other associations.
The commissioner said the state government would be willing to collaborate with Davido if he decides to perform in Edo in the future.
He added that Governor Monday Okpebholo had maintained relationships across different political and social groups in the state.
Afegbua also described Davido as one of Edo’s illustrious sons, noting that the singer’s mother hails from the state.
He said, “Should he wish to visit Edo State, we would happily host and fete him.”
The commissioner explained that the disagreement between Davido and the governor during the build-up to the recent Osun State governorship election was purely political and not personal.
He described Davido as a Nigerian global ambassador whose activities in the music industry had contributed to the country’s international image.
Afegbua said the state government was pleased with the singer’s achievements in the music industry and expressed hope that he would win a Grammy award in the future.
The clarification followed a statement attributed to the Senior Special Assistant on Digital Media to Governor Okpebholo, Apostle Kassy Chukwu, warning that Davido should not expect to perform in Edo State for the remainder of the governor’s tenure.
