• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Home
Metrowatchonline
Monday, February 16, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Security
  • World
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Security
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Metrowatchonline
No Result
View All Result
Home Highlights

Sit-at-home: Soludo Shuts Onitsha Main Market, Threatens One-month Closure

It was gathered that the closure is for one week.

Emmanuel Babs by Emmanuel Babs
January 26, 2026
in Highlights, News, Top News
0
Soludo

*Charles Soludo

In a decisive move to curb what the Anambra State Government has described as economic sabotage, Governor Chukwuma Soludo has ordered the immediate shutdown of Onitsha Main Market.

It was gathered that the closure is for one week.

It was equally gathered that the closure of the market was in response to the traders’ continued compliance with the illegal Monday sit-at-home directive.

The directive, announced on Monday, follows weeks of warnings by the state government to traders, market leaders, and residents to disengage from the sit-at-home order, which officials say has no lawful backing and has continued to cripple economic activities across the state.

ALSO READ...

U.S. Freezes Assets of 8 Nigerians over Allegedly Funding Boko Haram, Others

Nigeria Govt Files 3-count Charge against ex-Gov El-Rufai

While the shutdown is for one week, the government is warning that if the market fails to fully reopen by next Monday, the closure will be extended to one month, a move that could have far-reaching economic consequences for traders and supply chains across the South-East and beyond.

“This is no longer about fear or compliance under duress. It is about restoring law, order, and economic sanity,” a senior government official said.

Onitsha Main Market serves as a commercial nerve centre for millions of traders and consumers nationwide.

The state government insists that continued observance of sit-at-home undermines public safety efforts, emboldens criminal elements, and projects Anambra as unsafe for business and investment.

The government also issued a stern warning to market unions, transport operators, and individuals suspected of enforcing or promoting the sit-at-home order, stating that anyone found aiding or abetting the practice would face legal and regulatory sanctions.

Security agencies have reportedly been placed on alert to ensure compliance and protect traders willing to open their shops.

While some traders welcomed the government’s firm stance, describing it as long overdue, others expressed fear and uncertainty, citing security concerns and past incidents of violence linked to defiance of sit-at-home orders.

The Anambra State Government, however, reassured residents that adequate security measures are being put in place to protect lives and property, urging traders to cooperate in the interest of collective economic survival.

As the countdown to next Monday begins, all eyes are now on Onitsha Main Market—where the decision to reopen or remain shut could shape the economic direction of Anambra State in the weeks ahead.

Soludo had earlier warned civil servants in the state that they will not receive salaries if they refuse to come to work on Mondays.

Tags: AnambraChukwuma Soludo
Previous Post

Why Tinubu Should be Impeached, Says El-Rufai

Next Post

Marwa Says ‘Terrorists Now Live in Cannabis Growing Communities’

Emmanuel Babs

Emmanuel Babs

Related Posts

Soludo

IPOB Dares Soludo, Declares Monday, Feb 2 Sit-at-Home

January 31, 2026
Peter Obi

From ‘Structure of Criminality to My Leaders’, Presidency Accuses Obi of Inconsistency

January 30, 2026
Soludo

No Going Back on Main Market Closure, Don’t Push Me to Demolish it, Says Soludo

January 28, 2026
INEC

Vote Buying: Why We’ve Not Charged Those Arrested in Anambra to Court, Says INEC

December 11, 2025
Soludo

Anambra: INEC Issues Certificates of Return to Soludo, Deputy

November 11, 2025
Anambra 2025: Peter Obi Blames Vote-buying, Selling on Unemployment

Anambra 2025: Peter Obi Was Not on Ballot, Says Obidient Movement

November 11, 2025
Next Post
Marwa Says ‘Terrorists Now Live in Cannabis Growing Communities’

Marwa Says ‘Terrorists Now Live in Cannabis Growing Communities’

  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Home

© 2026 Metrowatch Online Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Security
  • World

© 2026 Metrowatch Online Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

Go to mobile version