• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Home
Metrowatchonline
Sunday, August 23, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Security
  • World
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Security
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Metrowatchonline
No Result
View All Result
Home Highlights

Court Dismisses Suit Challenging Tinubu’s Appointments in NDDC

Justice James Omotosho, in a judgment, dismissed the suit on the ground that the plaintiffs lacked the legal right to institute the case.

Emmanuel Babs by Emmanuel Babs
January 14, 2025
in Highlights, News, Top News
0
Tinubu

*Bola Tinubu

By Taiye Agbaje

A Federal High Court in Abuja on Tuesday, dismissed a suit seeking to invalidate the appointments of the current managing director and executive directors of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) by President Bola Tinubu.

Justice James Omotosho, in a judgment, dismissed the suit on the ground that the plaintiffs lacked the legal right to institute the case.

Justice Omotosho held that the proper party to initiate the case was the Attorney-General (A-G) of the states, being the chief law officers empowered to sue on behalf of the states or appoint a private lawyer to do so.

“The plaintiffs have no right to litigate a matter of public interest where the Attorney-General is available and not complaining,” the judge said.

He further held that the plaintiffs failed to prove their claims, adding that they ought to have shown the quantum of oil produced in each of the oil-producing states.

ALSO READ...

NHIA Offers Up to N400,000 Subsidy for Cancer Patients’ Radiotherapy

OPINION | Why Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway Project is Beyond 2027 Elections, By Owaikhena Osikhekha

The judge held that the plaintiffs also failed to provide evidence of the manner and status of appointments into NDDC management positions since the commission’s inception to substantiate their claims.

“This is simply an assertion without proof. This court is handicapped in going to the merits of this case,” he said.
Justice Omotosho consequently dismissed the suit.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Hon. Ajoku Philip, Chief Jones Omereoha, and the Incorporated Trustees of Kingdom Human Rights International Foundation, who claimed to be acting on behalf of the oil-producing communities in Imo State and a few states, had filed the suit.

The applicants sued the President of Nigeria, the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), the National Assembly and the NDDC in the suit marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/1374/2023.

They had urged the court to compel President Tinubu to withdraw the nominations of Dr Samuel Ogbuku, Mr Boma Iyaye, Mr Victor Antai, and Ifedayo Abegunde as Managing Director and Executive Directors of the NDDC respectively.

They demanded that the president appoint indigenes of oil-producing communities from Imo, Cross River, and Edo, who they alleged had not previously held these positions, as mandated by Section 12(1) of the NDDC Act.

The applicants argued that appointments to NDDC management positions over the years had allegedly favoured some oil-producing states over others, contravening relevant laws.

They also prayed for a declaration that Sections 4 and 12(1) of the NDDC Establishment Act were compulsory in the appointment of the Commission’s Chairman, Managing Director, and Executive Directors, among other reliefs.
But the NDDC, in its counter affidavit, disagreed with the applicants.

It argued that Section 12(1) of the NDDC Act provides for “adequate representation,” and this had always been observed in the commission’s appointments.

It further argued that only the governors of oil-producing states could make such complaints, as they are recognised representatives of their citizens.

The other defendants submitted that only state governors, through their A-Gs, are in a proper position to sue the NDDC over any alleged infractions.

 

(NAN)

Tags: Bola TinubuFederal High CourtNDDC
Previous Post

Marry Me off to My Old Lover, Widow Begs Court

Next Post

Gen Irabor Advocates Special Support for Wounded, Disabled Veterans

Emmanuel Babs

Emmanuel Babs

Related Posts

ADC

Tinubu’s Campaign Council Filled with Corruption Suspects, Says ADC

August 23, 2026
Atiku

Don’t Hide Tinubu’s Records from Nigerians, Atiku Tells FBI

August 22, 2026
Tinubu

Tinubu Names Yari, Uzodimma, Others as APC 2027 Campaign Council Members

August 22, 2026
Tinubu

Tinubu Suspends 3 Permanent Secretaries over Alleged Fake Agency in SGF Office

August 21, 2026
2027: Extend Your Love for Me to President Tinubu, Oborevwori Tells Religious Leaders

2027: Extend Your Love for Me to President Tinubu, Oborevwori Tells Religious Leaders

August 20, 2026
Hakeem Baba-Ahmed

Osun: APC’s Defeat Not Adeleke’s Trade-off for Supporting Tinubu, Says Hakeem Baba-Ahmed

August 17, 2026
Next Post
Gen Irabor Advocates Special Support for Wounded, Disabled Veterans

Gen Irabor Advocates Special Support for Wounded, Disabled Veterans

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Home

© 2026 Metrowatch Online Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Security
  • World

© 2026 Metrowatch Online Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

Go to mobile version