• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Home
Metrowatchonline
Thursday, August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Security
  • World
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Security
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Metrowatchonline
No Result
View All Result
Home Highlights

Police Arrest 12 for Alleged Vandalism of Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway

Emmanuel Babs by Emmanuel Babs
August 20, 2026
in Highlights, News, Top News
0
Police Arrest 12 for Alleged Vandalism of Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway

By Deborah Akpede and Lydia Chigozie-Ngwakwe

The Lagos State Police Command has arrested 12 suspects for alleged vandalism and theft of government infrastructure on the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway.

The suspects, aged between 19 years and 32 years, were arrested on Aug. 17 following intelligence gathered during investigations into repeated vandalism of infrastructure on the highway.

The Commissioner of Police in Lagos State, Mr Fatai Tijani, disclosed this at a joint press conference with the Controller of Works in Lagos, Mr Olufemi Dare, at the command’s headquarters in Ikeja on Thursday.

Tijani said that some vandalised iron materials were recovered from the suspects, adding that preliminary investigations linked them to the alleged offence.

“The suspects have also made statements regarding their alleged involvement in the offence,” he said.

The commissioner described vandalism of the coastal road infrastructure as a cause for concern, saying that it could undermine government projects aimed at improving transport, connectivity and economic activities.

He gave the assurance that the suspects would face diligent investigation and those found wanting would be prosecuted in accordance with the law.

Tijani urged Lagos residents to be vigilant and promptly report suspicious activities to the police.

He said the command would continue to work with the Federal Ministry of Works and other stakeholders to strengthen protection of critical infrastructure.

He also commended police officers, community leaders, government agencies and other stakeholders for providing credible information.

Tijani reiterated the command’s commitment to proactive, intelligence-led and community-oriented policing, stressing that Lagos would not be a safe haven for criminals.

The Controller of Works in Lagos, Mr Olufemi Dare, commended the police for arresting the suspects and protecting infrastructure on the coastal road.

Dare, who represented the Minister of Works, Sen. David Umahi, said the Federal Government had invested trillions of Naira in the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway project and would not allow criminals to undermine the effort.

ALSO READ...

Experts Reveals ‘700,000 Die of Malaria Yearly in Sub-Sahara Africa’

Okpebholo Will Complete All Road Projects Across Edo Within Tenure, Says Aide

He said that about 1,800 drainage covers had been installed on the road since January, but some had been vandalised, with the concrete covers broken and reinforcement materials removed.

Dare added that about one kilometre of the clear-view fence installed on the road had been removed by vandals.

He said about 75 directional signs had equally been removed, adding that such acts were capable of affecting safety and proper use of the road.

According to him, the police have also arrested some persons allegedly operating illegal toll points on the coastal road.

Dare emphasised that the road was not a truck park or trading area.

He said that illegal parking, trading, bicycle riding, motorcycle riding and movement of animals would not be tolerated on the highway.

He urged Lagos residents to report suspicious activities on the highway to the police and other relevant authorities.

The controller commended Lagos Police Command, contractors and other stakeholders for efforts in protecting the project. (NAN)

Tags: LagosLagos-Calabar Coastal HighwayPoliceVandalism
Previous Post

Experts Reveals ‘700,000 Die of Malaria Yearly in Sub-Sahara Africa’

Emmanuel Babs

Emmanuel Babs

Related Posts

Police

Osun Election: Police Arrest 295 Suspects

August 17, 2026
Troops

Troops Rescue 3 Kidnap Victims in Benue

August 16, 2026
Police

Osun 2026: Police Arrest Lawmaker, 146 Suspected Political Thugs

August 15, 2026
Police

Osun 2026: Police Announce Movement Restriction, Ban Amotekun, Others from Polling Units

August 14, 2026
Police

Osun 2026: 30 CPs, 15,000 Police Operatives Deployed for Saturday

August 14, 2026
‘King Kosoko: The Battle for Lagos’ Hits Cinemas on Aug. 28

‘King Kosoko: The Battle for Lagos’ Hits Cinemas on Aug. 28

August 12, 2026

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Home

© 2026 Metrowatch Online Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Security
  • World

© 2026 Metrowatch Online Published by Miraculous Media Connect Limited. All rights reserved

Go to mobile version